Thursday, April 24, 2014

Jobless in Deltona

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. I wonder if that applies to trying to get a job...

How do you try to get a job? You apply for jobs you think match your qualifications, right? That's what I did... and nothing. After a while you finally get that something is not right, so you try to adjust your course. That's what I did.

Nothing.

Okay, maybe I should lower my expectations... Which is fine. I don't think I'm above any kind of job. I just think my brain can accomplish a lot more than the rest of my body. I don't want to go into details about that on this post, but I have what I consider a mild physical disability, and a good brain that I believe more than makes up for that.

Long story short... in 2006 I accepted a job as a grocery store cashier. Part time, because it seems nobody hires full time employees anymore. My legs almost killed me on the first months. I had to practically crawl to my car at the end of each shift, but I eventually got stronger and used to the physical demands of my job, which really wasn't that bad. I had fun doing my job, and I had great coworkers. But...

In 2009 my husband passed away after a long battle against kidney cancer. I was still a part time associate at my place of employment. And reality hit me. That's not going to cut it. So I went back to school.

Graduated with a 3.99 GPA. Passed my boards. Got registered and licensed. Problem solved!

Not really...

It's been almost a year. I applied to hundreds of positions within a 2-hour-drive radius from my home. Scored a few interviews, and no job.

So here we go again... Well, maybe I should lower my expectations. So I applied for a bilingual job (I speak Portuguese) that had nothing to do with my field of study, but, WTH, a job is a job.

So, here's my dilemma. I understand that if I keep doing the same thing, I'll keep getting the same results, although the advice I hear from everybody is "Keep applying, keep applying!"

I have to do something different, but I have no idea what, and finding a rich husband is out of the question.

So... what now?

By the way, I am 53 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment